Monday, January 27, 2014

What part do WHITE people play?

In light of this past week’s MLK holiday, and the upcoming Black History Month, I’ve been reflecting on the role White people have to play in God’s heart for justice.  After centuries of being at the center of power in the West, is it time for White folks to take a back seat to people of color?  Do we no longer have the right to have a voice in the conversation?  Or is there a place for our voices and leadership?  Is there something lost without us in the mix?

Catherine (left), a Junior at Pacific Luther University
Last week I asked some of these questions to students at Pacific Lutheran University.  A junior at PLU, Catherine, responded to my challenges in an email I have pasted below:

“I have heard a few talks about race and white privilege (some through Intervarsity, some in class, some in church) and I think they have always made me uncomfortable. I resonated well with your description of the guilty-feeling white person. That has always been me: I know that white privilege exists but I never knew what to do about it or how it connected to my faith. When (my staff leader) told our leaders team…that you were coming, I was a bit nervous:  first, because it is a topic that I have struggled with in the past, and second because—as you stated—it is an uncomfortable topic for many.

As I'm sure you know, one of our main roles as leaders is follow-up and having dialogue with our small group members after the talk. I was nervous about how I would be able to do this. But after last night I am only excited and eager to talk to my community and the members that I am disciplining. 

I loved the way that you started with the scripture from Matthew 25 and the 3 servants stewarding their bags of gold. I have never heard someone connect race and privilege to scripture in such a logical and inspiring way:  (that we are responsible to use the power we’ve been given for God’s good purposes…and to have power and deny it is to abuse it.)  Last night was the first time that I was able to start seeing the ways that Jesus cares about privilege and wants us to use it for His kingdom.

I think that also in the past I have been stuck on feeling guilty because I could never tangibly see how I could use my privilege to God's glory, but last night God was definitely speaking through you as my eyes and heart started to open and see that that is possible. I loved your story about your dorm wing and how the African American janitor became a part of your community there (through your White roommate befriending him.) I was inspired and convicted while hearing that story.

In Intervarsity we talk a lot about "God's heart for justice", and things were starting to click for me last night as that sometimes confusing and vague statement started to come to life for me. Thank you for your passion about this topic and your devotion to the Lord and His kingdom.

Thank you again for opening many eyes and hearts last night to what Jesus really thinks about race and privilege, and I look forward to having you back to campus so that we can all learn even more.”


As Catherine and I journey down this road, I invite you, too, along:  what power do we have as White Americans?  How does God hold us responsible to use that power for good?  Where can we make the choice to do so?

No comments: